March 31, 2020 – Recent discussions between the governments of Canada and China have resulted in some media regarding the trade in canola. The Canola Council of Canada has the following statement:
- The world remains gripped by the COVID-19 pandemic and global supply chains to feed people and animals are more important than ever.
- Canadian and Chinese government officials had a call to discuss the trade in canola seed on March 30.
- China has informed Canada that the current trade in canola seed can continue.
- Canola shipments to China remain blocked as the licenses of two large exporters, Richardson and Viterra, to export canola seed to China remain suspended.
- Canada has been shipping about 30% of normal canola seed exports to China since March 2019.
Media may contact: