Harvest time can be a very busy time, but rushing some actions or using shortcuts can lead to unsafe situations and potentially to accidents. Everyone deserves to have a safe harvest, and following these few precautions can help.
- Buy a fire extinguisher if you don’t already have one, for your swather or combine and put it in an easy to reach location. Fires can occur, especially in areas with very dry conditions, so be prepared.
- When checking over equipment to make sure it is ready to go, be sure to pay attention to safety features (such as guards, rails, etc.)
- In addition to carrying your cell phone (if possible) when you head out to the field, bin pad or various machinery sheds, let someone else know where you are going and estimate when you will be back (even if you have to estimate within an hour or two).
- Always be aware that moving parts and big machinery can cause harm when focus lapses or fatigue sets in. So remind yourself to not become complacent as you get into routines.
- Check out this grain safety video to learn about bin safety.