Les Hill is the manager of technical services and business development for PAMI in Humboldt, Sask. He led off the Combine Clinic with a presentation on general tips to improve combine performance and reduce harvest losses.
His 8 tips:
- Feed canola as uniformly as possible into the combine.
- Avoid over-threshing.
- Don’t assume canola separates easily
- Initial settings: Adjust fan speed to the point where seed is just beginning to blow over.
- Initial settings: Open chaffer and sieve settings as wide as you can tolerate.
- Measure the actual loss out the back of each combine.
- Travel at speeds that match a level of acceptable loss.
- Machine losses should be less than 2%, hopefully 1%.