Here is a list of companies that sometimes buy off-grade canola, including possibly heated or high-green canola. Email Jay Whetter to update contact information or to have companies added or removed.
Contact any of the oilseed processing plants. They will often take a range of grades, but will be fairly stringent on overall quality as their customers demand consistent, high quality and safe oil and meal products. With particular reference to canola harvested in the spring, it can be lower in weight, lower in oil content, higher in free fatty acid levels and have animal damage. Due to uncertainty surrounding the quality of canola harvested in the spring, oilseed processors will assess the physical and intrinsic quality attributes and make a decision as to whether to accept it. The major processing facilities in Western Canada are:
- ADM, Lloydminster, Alta.
- Bunge, Altona, Man.
- Bunge, Fort Saskatchewan, Alta.
- Bunge, Harrowby, Man.
- Bunge, Nipawin, Sask.
- Cargill, Camrose, Alta.
- Cargill, Clavet, Sask.
- LouisDreyfus, Yorkton, Sask.
- Richardson Oilseed Limited, Yorkton, Sask.
- Richardson Oilseed Limited, Lethbridge, Alta.
- Viterra, Ste. Agathe, Man.
Contact the local plants directly or click here for a link to corporate contacts for each company.
Other companies that buy off-grade canola:
Important notes: Many of these companies contacted Canola Watch to be put on the list. Being on this list does not represent an endorsement from Canola Watch. We encourage you to check that companies are licensed with the Canadian Grain Commission and consider the risks in selling to a company that is not licensed.
- Alberta Feed Grain, Barrhead, Alta. CGC licensed/bonded. P: Jason Semler, general manager, 780-206-1234 (cell) W: albertafeedgrain.com
- All Peace Industries, High Prairie, Alta. P: Stan Peacock at 780-523-2394
- C.B. Constantini Ltd with locations in Vancouver, Lethbridge and Saskatoon. W: www.cbconstantini.com P: 604-669-1212 Toll free: 1-800-665-5500
- Cornine Commodities, Lacombe, Alta. P: 1-888-882-7803 W: yourgrain.ca
- Eagle Commodities Ltd., Lethbridge, Alta. Contact Tyson Bosch. P: 403-328-9191 E: firstname.lastname@example.org W: www.eaglecommodities.ca
- G.V. Colony Farming Company Ltd., Grande Prairie, Alta. (buys more green than heated) P: James Hofer at 780-831-5928 E: email@example.com
- JGL Commodities, Moose Jaw, Sask., P: 1-877-907-1517 W: www.jglgrain.com/home
- Merv Slater Holdings Ltd., Unity, Sask., P: Jerry Slater at 306-228-7325 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Milligan Biofuels, Foam Lake, Sask. P: 306-272-6284 E: email@example.com W: www.milliganbiofuels.com
- North East Prairie Grain, Tisdale, Sask. P: 306-873-3551 E: firstname.lastname@example.org W: neprairiegrain.com
- O&T Farms, Regina, Sask., P: 1-888-894-3386 W: www.otfarms.ca
- Rayglen Commodities, Saskatoon. P: 1-800-729-4536 W: www.rayglen.com
- R.K. Heggie Grain Ltd., Raymond, Alta. P: Gary Snedden, grain marketing manager, at 1-800-265-9886 or cell 403-308-3417
- Scaleside Commodity Group Ltd., Lethbridge, Alta. P: Ashley Lazar, 403-894-4110 or Darren Guidinger, 403-308-5284
- Shafer Commodities in Morden, Man. Contact trader Heather Halstead P: 204-822-6275 E: email@example.com.
- Swanson Ranch Ltd., Provost, Alta. Will take badly heated (50%+) for rations. P: Wyett Swanson at 780-209-0287 or 780-753-6490
- Tradex Commodity Group, Saskatoon, Sask. P: 306-975-7066 W: tradexgroup.net
- Trouw Nutrition (was Hi-Pro), with locations in Lethbridge and Sherwood Park, Alta. P: 403-938-8373 E: firstname.lastname@example.org W: trouwnutrition.com
- Westcan Feed & Grain, Grande Prairie, Alta. Buys green or heated canola from anywhere in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Offers on-farm pickup. P: 1-877-250-5252 or 780-532-6470 W: westcanfeedandgrain.com
- Western Commodities, Tisdale, Sask., P: 1-877-695-6461 W: www.westerncommodities.ca
- Wilbur-Ellis Nutrition, Lethbridge County, Alta., P: 1-888-516-8845 W: www.wilburellisnutrition.com
- Wright Ag Renewables Ltd., Lacombe, Alta. P: 403-340-6846 or 403-782-5703 E: email@example.com
- Xpeller Pressing Ltd. Lethbridge County, Alta. P: 403-894-4394 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
A repeat of important notes: Many of these companies contacted Canola Watch to be put on the list. Being on this list does not represent an endorsement from Canola Watch. We encourage you to check that companies are licensed with the Canadian Grain Commission and consider the risks in selling to a company that is not licensed.