Why canola matters to all Canadians
The Canola Council commissioned an analysis of the impact of Canadian-grown canola on Canada's economy. Data was considered from three crop years: 2009-10, 2010-11 and 2011-12.
This study was prepared as part of the Canola Market Access Plan through Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada's Agriflexibility funding.
Highlights are summarized here. You can also download the fact sheet or full report or view the October 11, 2013 virtual news conference announcing the report's release.
Overall contribution to the Canadian economy
- $19.3 billion/year
- Most economic benefits come from Western Canada where most canola is grown.
- 249,000 Canadian jobs, plus thousands more in markets where canola is exported.
- $12.5 billion in employee wages
- Sectors: seed supply, farming, canola seed handling (elevator and port), transportation, crushing and refining.
Impact by Province
* Includes both direct and indirect economic benefits