1. Join the Canola Council agronomy team at canolaPALOOZA 2017. Dates are June 20 in Saskatoon, June 22 in Portage la Prairie and June 27 in Lacombe. Registration and information.
2. Check out the new version of “5 Simple Tips to Get Your Canola Ready for Export”.
3. Crop Insurance seeding deadlines. For 2017 only, B.C. has adjusted its production insurance seeding deadline for Argentine canola to June 1. Polish stays at June 5. See deadlines for other provinces here.
4. How late is too late to seed canola? READ MORE
5. Cold and weed control. One cool night can be enough to reduce herbicide efficacy if the next day remains cool and cloudy. Cool conditions can also affect tolerance of HT canola plants. Slower crop metabolism means glyphosate-tolerant canola, for example, can yellow from the spray. READ MORE
5. Frost on canola? Areas of southern Saskatchewan were well below zero earlier this week. Check after a couple days to see how many survived. READ MORE.
6. Want to know growing degree day accumulation so far this year? Go here then select “Prairies” and “temperature” and “growing degree days” and retrieve the map. You can also check on precipitation for the agricultural year (low in places), temperatures as a percent of normal for the past month and lots more.
7. Want more maps and interpretation? The Prairie Pest Monitoring Network weekly blog has lots of maps relevant to insect observations and management. READ THE BLOG